Saturday, June 14, 2014

I Need Your Help!

Hey friends!

As some of you know, I'm in St. Simons Island, GA at a writer's workshop. I went to a class today about writing a query letter (to send to agents re: my book) so I started working on my letter but want/need your help!

If you could read my book "teaser" and give me feedback, I would be eternally grateful.

The structure for this part of the letter is to introduce my main character, who she is and what she cares about. Then I need to show what my character wants most in the world and what the stakes are. The goal is to leave the agent wanting more. This would be similar to what you would see on the back of a book jacket/flap.

Here's what I've got so far:

Lara Chernov is a green-eyed teenage girl who is ripped out of her house in the middle of the night by her frantic parents, who are escaping from an enemy unknown to Lara. Her parents offer no apology or explanation. When the Chernovs finally settle in the small, Southern town of Barrington, a military coup disrupts the already-fragile Refugee Territory. The Territory is an autonomous colony within the United States, composed of refugees from war-torn Europe after Hitler manages to overtake the European mainland.

When a massive famine takes hold of the land and the newly-formed government outlaws ownership, Lara is left with few choices: will she escape to the United States with her father or will she fight for the place that she has come to call home? Trapped in a world of secrets, starvation and political unrest, Lara Chernov will learn the cost of freedom and the weight of an individual’s decision to take a stand.

I would really appreciate your feedback/questions/ideas! You can either share them in the comments or email me: tiffanynoellechacon@gmail.com

I'll be meeting on Monday morning with the agent who taught the class so prayers are requested for that! For anyone interested, this is the agency: http://ckwebber.com/