Saturday, December 14, 2013

Hearing Voices

For the past few years I have been on a pragmatic search for a 'suitable' career. I have considered (and attempted) many options from event planner to physician assistant to astronaut (OK, maybe not astronaut. I mean, have you guys SEEN Gravity?!) I'm grateful to have had the support and love of my friends and family throughout this crazy time.

Speaking of crazy, I should probably mention that I've been hearing voices.

Now, if you're a writer, you might know what kind of voices I'm talking about. Not the voices of a paranoid schizophrenic but the voices of my characters. They. Will. Not. Leave. Me. Alone. So here I am, allowing them to find their voice on paper. Well, maybe not paper (yet!) but...perhaps a computer screen will be enough for now.

I will be posting bits and pieces of my story on this blog. Currently, I'm working on a piece about the trials and triumphs of a girl named Lena who is caught in the middle of a military coup. So far, it's a story about life and loss, hopelessness and faith and, of course, love (if you know anything about me, you know that one thing is true: I love love).

A short caveat: these are rough drafts. So please, treat them as such. Keep in mind that most books that you read have been combed through very carefully by professionals  in order to weed out every (or at least, almost every) stray word.

That being said, I appreciate and welcome your constructive feedback. Emphasis on constructive. It's a vulnerable place to be when you allow your work - your heart, your soul - to rest in another person's hands.

Happy reading, my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment